How can I start a video call in an already existing conversation?
To start a video call, all you have to do is tap on the red video icon at the top of the conversation to initiate to the members of that message.
What happens when I close the video call window?
When the video call window is closed, that member is disconnected (see below for iOS known issue).
If I accidentally close out of the video call, will I have to initiate a video call all over again?
A video call will end after 5 minutes when there are no participants so that means all you would have to do is go back to the conversation and tap or click on the green video icon. A member can rejoin a video call at any time (as long as the video call is still in progress i.e. green icon instead of red)
How do I know that a video call is in progress?
There are 2 ways to know a video call is in progress
- On the conversation list screen, it will say ‘Video call in progress’ in green
- In the conversation, the camera icon is a blinking green
Which web browsers are supported?
- Latest Chrome
- Latest Firefox
- Safari 11+ support is currently experimental
- Electron Desktop App (All versions)
- Internet Explorer (All versions)
- NWjs Desktop App is not supported (3yrs old), these users can update to the latest.
- Legacy Browsers such as Old IE, Old Safari, or alternatives are not supported, all of these users will see a warning telling them to upgrade to a compatible browser such as Chrome or Firefox
Important Notes and Best Practices:
- Telehealth video calling quality is based on connection. If you are experiencing poor sound/video, please check that you have a strong internet connection.
- We believe that a video call with 5 or fewer individuals will provide the optimal experience, though the feature will support up to 10 people total.
- Clicking on the background of the call will hide everything but the currently selected member. Click again to bring it back
- If a video call has not ended and a member tries to ‘restart’ the call, no notification is sent since it is not considered a new call as they are simply re-joining the call still in progress.
Known Beta Issues for iOS:
Remember to end or hang up the call. If you don’t, the call will continue to be connected in the background and the person on the other end will still hear audio, even if you are not in the app. In the next release, leaving the conversation by exiting the app will disconnect you from the video call entirely.
When clicking on an incoming video call notification, you are routed to the conversation but it does not put you into the video call itself. You must tap on the green video icon to join the call. This will be resolved in the next release by routing you directly to the video call (instead of the just the conversation) when tapping on the push notification.